Using the OASYS® product is only one part of the solution for the treatment of your sleep apnea. In addition to regularly using the OASYS® every time you sleep, you should also do your part by maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Below are some healthy lifestyle habits you should consider integrating into your sleep apnea treatment:
- Lose excess weight. Even a slight loss in excess weight may help relieve constriction of your throat. If you don't already have a weight-loss program, talk to your doctor about the best course of action for weight loss.
- Avoid alcohol and medications such as tranquilizers and sleeping pills. These relax the muscles in the back of your throat, interfering with breathing.
- Sleep on your side or abdomen rather than on your back. Sleeping on your back can cause your tongue and soft palate to rest against the back of your throat and block your airway. To prevent sleeping on your back, try sewing a tennis ball in the back of your pajama top.
- Keep your nasal passages open at night. Use a saline nasal spray to help keep your nasal passages open. Talk to your doctor about using nasal decongestants or antihistamines because these medications are generally recommended only for short-term use.
- Keep an open and constant communication with your doctor or specialist. Engage in regular conversation so that your doctor or specialist can monitor your improvements and can warn you of risks, if there is any. This also allows you to inform them of any problem that may arise. You must keep in mind that the success of treatment and management of obstructive sleep apnea lies partly in the doctor-patient communication.